Thursday, August 30, 2012

I'm BAA-AAA-CCKKK

Oh HAY guys! It's been a hot second since we were last together, but can I be honest with you? The Olympics burned me out. It got to the point where I was feeling immense guilt if I didn't tune in each night, and that's just cray cray, ammiright?

Anyway, I'm feeling slightly refreshed after my few weeks hiatus, which is good because FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE. Actually, more importantly, COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE.

Now, I hope everyone has had ample time to check out your favorite sports news media outlet and see what conference your team is now playing for, because chances are it's changed since last January.

For instance, about a week and a half ago, I went on ESPN to catch up on bloggy news about WVU, and it took me a few seconds to remember to go to the Big XII site. I don't even really remember WVU being an independent, as I was 10 when the Big East was formed, so that was trippy and weird and a little uncomfortable.

But my alma mater is certainly not the only one that has switched lanes and gears and everything else when it comes to conferences. The Big XII is also welcoming in the Horned Frogs of TCU while bidding farewell to Mizzou and Texas A&M, who are headed to the SEC. Meanwhile, the Big East (who is not yet losing Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC) is welcoming back Temple- the same team they kicked out just 8 years ago. I guess when your conference members are dropping like flies, a 14-80 record in conference play doesn't look quite as bad as it used to.

And when 2013 and 2014 roll around? Hands up as to who's going to need some sort of Conferences for Dummies guide book.




There are also plenty of new coaches: Mike Leach at Washington State (welcome back!), Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss (welcome to the SEC!), and Bill O'Brien at Penn St (welcome to what is probably going to be your worst nightmare).

Then there is Urban Meyer. The illustrious former Florida Gator head coach is returning to his alma mater Ohio State to take over a probation-laden program. The good news? Ohio State is apparently talent-heavy and ranked in the top ten pre-season. The bad news? It doesn't really matter, because playing for pride isn't nearly as fun as say...playing for a national championship.

Well, this sucks.
When all is said and done with the pre-season back stories and predictions, however, it all comes down to what will happen on the gridiron. And that, my friends, begins tonight.

Who better to kick off the 2012-13 season than the Ol' Ball Coach himself Steve Spurrier? His #9 ranked South Carolina Gamecocks travel to Vanderbilt to take on the Commodores. The fun continues tomorrow night with a match-up between a pair of ranked foes in #24 Boise St. and #13 Michigan St.

But the REAL excitement will come on Saturday evening, when #8 Michigan takes on #2 Alabama at neutral Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Remember when Michigan lost that opener a few years ago against lowly App. State at home? Remember that 'Bama is the reigning National Champ after beating conference rival LSU in a controversial rematch? Yeah, this one should shake out to be pretty entertaining.



In short, I am glad that college football, like moi, is indeed back. Aren't you?

                     *******************************************************

Hit me up and let me know what you're most looking forward to this season. See ya on the flip side!

Images provided by wvusportsespn, and lh6.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations