Friday, February 10, 2012

Say My Name

In sports, talent, dedication, and physicality mean a lot. But sometimes it's that intangible quality that destines one to be a superstar.

Like one's name, for instance.

Think about it....Picabo Street? Coco Crisp? Pops Mensah- Bonsu? What else could these folks do but become great athletes?

With that in mind, I wanted to pay homage to some of the most fantastic named players in Big East basketball right now. I know, there are plenty of other superbly named b-ballers in the country, but since I follow the Big East, and it's my blog, I get to honor who I want.

So here goes (in no particular order):

SCOOP JARDINE
Syracuse Orange


Scoop has been a favorite of mine now for the 20+ years he's been playing at Syracuse. Every time I hear his name, I either want a tostito chip or I want to give him a hug. No correlation there, I'm sure.



FAB MELO
                                                       Syracuse Orange



The Brazilian 7-footer is well on his way to living up to his name. You know, when he's actually playing (darn those academic standards).


SHABAZZ NAPIER
                                                        UConn Huskies



In all honesty, I'm strongly considering naming my future child Shabazz Scoop Peterson. I don't know if it's because Shabazz conjures up images of any movie Sinbad might star in or what, but I dig it.


ALEX ORIAKHI
                                                         UConn Huskies



Oriakhi rhymes with teriyaki. And let's be real....I love me some Japanese food. 




CASHMERE WRIGHT
                                                   Cincinnati Bearcats



Cashmere....every girl's dream fabric. Cashmere Wright? Every sport's writers' dream name to say.


                                             JABARI HINDS
                                                     WVU Mountaineers



This little freshman guard has already earned a place in the Mountaineers's starting line-up. And his name has won a place in my heart.

And finally.......................

VANDER BLUE
                                                 Marquette Golden Eagles



His name is Blue. He wears blue. It's like a match made in sports name heaven.

Honorable Mention: The St. John Red Storm roster, which includes Moe Harkless, God'sgift Achiuwa, and Sir'Dominic Pointer. 

*****************************************

What did you think of the list? Did I leave someone out? What are some other great names in college ball right now? Let me know!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations